Sunday, February 27, 2011

Thinking back.....

I'm been so busy telling you what's happening at present and what might be going on in the future I haven't had much time for reminiscing, but now things have settled down got to thinking about about the past.

One of the things I remember was a grey fragrant bush from when I was a very young cottage - southernwood - which brushed against my eastern wall from time to time.  There was a tradition in England that a slip of southernwood was always included in a bride's bouquet, to be taken out and put in the ground by the door to the new couples' house, for good luck.  Don't ask me which young bride, planted southernwood up against my wall, its too long ago - but should someone remember then please let me know.  The  plant, probably as seed, must have come out from England to Pauatahanui to remind someone of home.

It brought warmth to my old totara heart to smell this bush again recently.  Oh joy!  There is a pocket of southernwood still here, despite the decades that have passed and the recent earthmoving activity.  Hopefully it will become part of the cottage garden being planned around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment